Patient Participation Group
We are currently updating the contents of this page and hope to have much more informative and easy to browse information available shortly.
Meanwhile, if you do want to be in touch with the PPG, please see the registration link at the bottom of this page.
- COVID-19 Vaccinations Update – 25th February 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccinations Update – 12th February 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccinations Update – 28th January 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update – 14th January 2021
- COVID-19 Newsletter – November 2020
What is a Patient Participation Group and Why Join?
All English GP practices are required to form a representative patient participation group (PPG). We are supported and guided by the National Association for Patient Participation (NAPP).
NAPP is the national voice for patient participation in primary care (GP surgeries) and more information can be found at www.napp.org.uk
- To make the relationship between patients and their practices stronger
- To ensure that patients receive quality care
- To assist practices to play an even more valuable role at the heart of our communities.
How do we do this?
Our PPG comprises an active team of volunteer patients, who either attend our informal meetings held every 2-3 months, and/or communicate and consult virtually to offer their ideas and support.
Since March, we have decided in the short term, to hold our meetings virtually via Zoom. If you wish to attend these meetings, please contact the Chair, Linda Pryor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just attending meetings and having your say on matters that you feel would benefit all patients is extremely valuable.
There are also many ways to give your input. You may be interested in helping us to compile the surgery’s newsletter, organise local health information events for patients, set up support groups for those with long term conditions, or be part of the consultation process in local health issues that affect us all.
How do you benefit from being involved?
- Meeting new and interesting people who have a common interest
- It is interesting to receive up to date information on what is happening at the surgery and at a local level
- Knowing that we do have a voice and our ideas are followed through [which is why we want a bigger, more diverse PPG so everyone has their say]
- Feeling that you have had an input into some of the changes at the surgery
- Meeting people at the few events we hold can be rewarding
- For some people there is a feeling of ‘putting back into the NHS’ often in response to the treatment they have received in the past
- The possibility of attending courses
- For some PPG members it may be useful when applying for a job to say that you are a member of a PPG
- It’s enjoyable!
Would you like to find out more and get involved?
We are particularly keen for the diverse group of the 20,000 patients at New River Health (Castlegate and Church Street) to be fully represented on our PPG. We are moving into a more technology-based era and would welcome people, with useful ideas and views on how this will impact on patient care, to come and join us. Please use the form below to register. We look forward to meeting you.
Some of the PPG’s recent work at Castlegate Surgery:
- Consultation and feedback in designing the new website
- Hertfordshire Health Walks promotion event
- You Said – We Listened
We have set up a virtual patient representation group so that you can have your say. We will ask the members of this representative group some questions from time to time, such as what you think about our opening times or the quality of the care or service you received. We will contact you via email and keep our surveys succinct so it shouldn’t take too much of your time.
We aim to gather as many patients from as broad a spectrum as possible to get a truly representative sample. We need young people, workers, retirees, people with long term conditions and people from non-British ethnic groups.
If you are happy for us to contact you occasionally by email please complete the Patient Group Registration form online.
We will be in touch shortly after we receive your form. Please note that no medical information or questions will be responded to.
We also have a very active Patient Participation Group (PPG) that meets every quarter to consider new developments within the NHS that may affect our local population. If you wish to join this small proactive group, please contact the surgery.
Registering for the PPG
If you wish to join our friendly group, please fill in our registration form.